Saturday, April 01, 2006

Glendora Songs

We all have things we tie to certain times, people or events in our lives. Little time machines that send us back to where we came from. For some it’s a certain smell. Others it may be the way air feels before a thunderstorm. For me it’s music. A certain song can transport me to sitting in my dads truck heading to his house for the weekend. Or to an evening dancing with my mom. I’ve always loved music. Any kind really. Whether it’s because of the beauty of the music, the meaning of the lyrics, or the way it makes me feel.

A long time ago I started to hear specific songs and link it to my childhood. I fondly started referring to these songs as “Glendora Songs”. So named simply because this is where my first real memories come from. Not because it was an especially happy house to live in, just where my mind started to click and hold onto the world around me. These were songs like "Summer In The City" by The Lovin’ Spoonful, or "Monday Monday" by The Mamas & The Papas. No one event comes to mind when I hear them, just a feeling of simplicity and warmth. The sweet anticipation of that giddy feeling when "Black Water" by The Doobie Brothers is playing at the market. I would always be surprised and excited to hear one of these songs on the radio. It was like a gift to be given that feeling. This has gone on for years.

Fast forward to my birthday. We now live in a digital age when any song is just a mouse click away. Gone are albums and the scratchy sounds delivered by a thin needle. We can download whatever we want for less than $1. I’d been thinking for a while, about creating a mixed CD with these “Glendora Songs.” I thought, 20 or so songs, not too many. A good CD for those days when I needed a pick me up, or just felt like singing. This had been sitting in the back of my mind (on the top shelf as my sister would say) for a year or two.

Then, the birthday approached. This is a birthday I’ve been looking forward to. Not only would I be turning 33 (a good number to my mind, what with all those 3’s), but my beautiful sister would be coming to visit. I was determined at that point. What better chance would I have to use my sister’s brain to find those perfect “Glendora” songs? The “Glendora Songs” turned into “Burbank Songs” and “Arcadia Songs”. Then “Oklahoma songs” or “Driving to Dads House” songs, “Meeting our step-mom” songs. “Disco Dancing with Mom” songs. The small list of 20 songs quickly blossomed into a list well over 100. What was even more shocking what that I already owned 90% of this list! (Which brings a questions to mind, one I really don't want answered. Just how much money have I spent on music in my lifetime? !) A few downloads later and 5, FIVE CD's were born.


My sissy and I spent 3 days laughing, singing off key, & laughing some more. I can’t tell you how many times one of us said “I LOVE THAT SONG!” or “Oh my gosh..remember this song!” At this point we were still of the mind that we were creating something only we could love. But as we got deeper into it and the list continued to grow and grow, we started to think, we need to share this. So many of the songs made us think of our dad, others of our mom. I’m pretty sure it was “Blue Bayou” by Linda Ronstadt and “I love a Rainy Night” by Eddie Rabbit that did. Those two songs put our step mom in mind. Her, and her shiny blue Nova, Nellie.

So there you have it. A collection we’ve lovingly named Nellie & The Super Nova for our step mom and Dancing Queen for our mom. The 1st 20 songs are really, what I think is the best. These are the true “Glendora Songs”. This is where we started. Here's the list. Go toRhapsody or Musicmatch, or where ever you listen to music, set up this playlist and enjoy.


Summer In The City by The Lovin Spoonful
Monday Mondy by The Mamas & The Papas
You've Lost That Lovin' Feelin' by The Righteous Brothers
Turn Turn Turn by The Byrds
Bad Moon Rising by Creedence Clearwater Revival
Do You Belive in Magic bhy The Lovin' Spoonful
Hotel California by The Eagles
Up On The Roof by The Drifters
Magic Carpet Ride by Steppenwolf
Wild World by Cat Stevens
Black Water by The Doobie Brothers
Sittin' on the Doc of the Bay by Otis Redding
A Horse with No Name by America
Good Lovin' by The Rascals
LA Woman by The Doors
Lay Down Sally by Eric Clapton
Tin Man by America
Cat's in the Cradle by Harry Chapin
Suite: Judy Blue Eyes by Crosby Stills Nash & Young
Let's Stay Together by Al Green

3 comments:

kpjara said...

You must be from very diverse parents, at least musically.

Thanks for sharing and for coming back and taking us all down the musical memory lane! and happy belated birthday!

Miche said...

Thank you! Hopefully I won't stay away so long next time.

tam said...

so good...I just re-lived our weekend!!!

I cannot get off of listening to those songs...even Minniemee is getting into them and Monkey is bee boppin' with his shoulders...funky man!