Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Classy casual?

I have to go to a dinner party at a country club on Saturday night. I say have to because I really don't have a choice. I know, I should try to be excited about it since my husband is, but really, my hearts not in it. He's in a golf tournament Thursday through Saturday. He was invited by a good customer of his, who also happens to be a pretty fun guy. If only the party weren't at a country club of all places. Most of the people there will be around my parents age. It's one of the few times when the 11 year age difference between my husband and I becomes uncomfortable. He'll be one of the younger men in the room, and I'm usually the age of most of their daughters. There's pressure at these things to be the perfect stepford like wife, which I most definitely am not.

The invitation to the dinner, where cocktails don't start until 7:30 mind you, says it is "Classy Casual". What the heck does that mean?! Does my husband still need to wear a tie? It's easy for him, that's the biggest decision he'll have to make. What will I wear? Would pants and a nice blouse be out of the question? Or do I have to wear a skirt or dress? I'm afraid of being somewhere on the too classy or too casual end of things. Last time we attended this dinner the women were wearing everything between business suits and fancy shmancy cocktail, semi formal, dresses. But that time there were no specifications on the invitation about what to wear. I wore a black sheath dress and crocheted sweater yet felt under dressed. Too plain.

Here are two dresses I'm thinking of wearing....


This one is cotton, but that soft, flowing cotton. Not stiff at all. Not lined so no poof. Really think this may be too casual thought and not enough class







This one is actually black with white trim. Much prettier that way. It's cotton & fully lined so the skirt does "poof" a bit like in the picture. I like it but is it too summery? Is it too casual? I'm so confused.


I'm a jeans kind of girl. My husband & I aren't "dressed up". We like it simple. He in shorts & a golf shirt. I'm usually in jeans and some cute top or sweater. Going to things like this is stressful for me. I've never been confident enough in my appearance to think I look great. Even on those times when I probably have. Ugh.


6 comments:

tam said...

WHAT!!????!!!!???

THREEeeeee? Posts?! My, I'm elated...over joyed...

I so so so love love love when you post post post...

(ok so the first two were not meant to be puns and then i realized...must do three of all of them!)

tam said...

love them both...they both are classy. they both are somewhat casual...so not what I would wear to the movies (far too classy for potential sticky buns from previous attender) so not TOO casual...

definitely NOT something I would wear to a black tie affair (although the 2nd one in black might qualify despite being cotton)
so classy but no too dressy..

either one is a GREAT pick

"too summery"? how can that be given where you live? isn't the thought process "the land of perpetual summer" regardless of it's truth?

Miche said...

what did we ever do without blogger. i'm goint to take pictures of my clothes every morning just to check them out with you. Almost as good as standing in our closet at grams old house with the "is this okay?" look.

kpjara said...

I refuse to read what others may right before I respond...it's best to go with your gut on these and it's FAR better to be overdressed than under-dressed or God-forbid UN-dressed! Okay, just alittle preamble humor...sorry I feel the gravity of the situation....

I love #2! I love the color, it's bright and looks lovely, for this 'barely fall' time of year. It appears almost coral which could be coordinated nicely with some beautiful coral jewelry.

Another technique I've used in the past (cause I detest big even 'psuedo-formal' events, which to me is what classy-casual is all about), is to call the hostess or the hosts wife/significant other and introduce myself (if they dont' know me) and just ask (in a light-hearted manner) and have a nice conversation with him/her.

I hope there are pics for this!

Frankly I think casual-classy is the PC term so women who have tons of money can dress over-the-top and be okay with it and those that wouldn't be caught dead (in Prada...say)...are also comfortable in their off-the-rack selections...dress or slacks!

Okay...now I've read tam's response and I realize I may have given too direct an answer...so in summation...I love them both!

kpjara said...

...what others may right??? huh??? what others may WRITE is probably a better use of words!

kpjara said...

Okay...now I feel like a total idiot! See how God loves to work through my pride issues out in the open with people I respect and admire...looking back that the 'coral' dress is actually black...I'd still go with the second one...the event is after 6pm...black is the way to go.