Friday, September 05, 2008

Afghan project

My next adventure is in the world of crochet. It's another art first taught to me by my great grandmother (Grandma Tag as we called her) as a child, and reintroduced to me by my beloved Gram as an adult.


When we were very little Grandma Tag was sure to teach us some of her amazing skills. She could make amazing things out of nothing. From building a house to a fancy cake for birthdays and everything in between. She once turned a burnt couch sitting on someones curb for the garbage into a one of kind sectional for her tiny house. She was junking long before Country Home of Country Living made it cool. But I've gotten off track....


My Grandma Tag was and Gram is the type of woman that can crochet an entire afghan in a day. Their turned fingers working like lightening as they worked shell stitches. I'm just not that fast. I've wanted to work on a scrap afghan for quite some time. There is so much yarn in my house I could probably make a few of these projects and still have plenty left over.

I'm roughly 13 rows into my current attempt. I'm trying to keep the color story going. I faded from blue into green and will fade the green into purples next. It's a simple shell & reverse shell but I think it looks sort of like a yo yo quilt (an art I do not yet know how to do-I'm hoping my Gram or mother in law will someday show me).
I really am a beginner at this. I know a handful of stitches and have made maybe 3 afghans in the past. I've made several wash cloths, which is a great way to practice new stitches. With each turn of the hook I think I improve. Maybe someday I'll be as quick as my wonderful grandmothers.

1 comment:

tam said...

ooooohhhhh love that afghan...you never said you started a new one...