Friday, September 05, 2008

Embroidery Project

This project is long over due. I've been working on for nearly a year. Not because it was especially complicated. It was just one of those things that I would work on for a while, then set aside only to pick it up again a few months later. It is a pillow for my grandparents and their "new" old trailer. When we were little they had a Travelese that my grandfather rebuilt. It was our home away from home. It was sold when I started high school for a bigger & "better" trailer. Recently, fond memories of the Travelese caused my grandparents to search for something similar to their old trailer and after several months of searching they finally found one. It is so like the one in our memories. They're working hard on fixing it up. I've done my part with a pillow that travels down memory lane.

It includes images that bring to mind our many trips. All but the tree are patterns from Sublime Stitching. I created the tree myself, as you can tell. Many our our trips were to visit the giant redwoods in central & northern California. The words are lyrics to a song my grandmother used to sing while on the road. "Show me the way to go home. I'm tired and I wanna go to bed. I had a little drink about an hour ago and it went straight to my head." I thought it better than my grandfathers ditty "She's got freckles on her but, she's nice." I'm most proud of the fire & the roasted marshmallows.

The picture doesn't quite do it justice. The stones look great in person. Same with the marshmallows. I used a stark white for the top and a taupey brown for the roasted part.

So there it is. My first embroidery project since before the age of 10. I think I did pretty well for someone who hasn't picked up a needle and floss in over 20 years. Now onto to other ideas.


1 comment:

tam said...

you are so talented...love that pillow top!